Thursday 10 March 2011

The first skirt challenge

My first skirt is finished!



Not quite as twirly as I'd wanted it, or quite as simple as what I'd intended when I started out, but a fair result..

It's navy coloured corduroy and has a small embroidered flower thingamedoodle on the one side.

 It has a side zip with a hook and eye fastener...which I didn't quite position correctly, but now I have a better idea for next time. For practical purposes I added in two little loops for hanging it up.


I found a great video series and used that skirt as a base and then made a few changes. The videos explain everything and if you are new to sewing it is well worth taking a look: How to make a flared skirt
The way that Candi shows you how to put in a zip is particularly noteworthy.


I used 9 panels and each panel was a little wider at the top, and I added in a few "pleats" which were actually more like darts and probably why the skirt is a bit poofy, but it does sit quite comfortably and I'm  happy with the way it turned out.

One of the comments I got when it was finished was "now your next challenge is to actually wear it"...oh dear, I'm not a very good skirt wearer, so I'll have to make an effort to put it on every now and then :)

1 comment:

  1. it was just made because it can be made... wear it? bah humbug...

    ReplyDelete

Not-for-Profit Group